Sunday, May 15, 2016

Book signing at Walls of Books

Today is Sunday, May the 15th, and this morning when I got up it was 45 degrees in Ellijay. School will be out in a week. The pool is open down by the river, and it was 45 degrees this morning. I love it! Living in the mountains is great. I'll need to write about that one day. But, let's not get distracted. Today I want to tell you about my book signing at a local bookstore, Walls of Books.

The store is located here in Ellijay. Jan McTier is the manager, and she was great to work with to do my book signing. The store itself is still somewhat new, having only been in Ellijay since last October, but there is a good selection of new and used books, and Jan can order for you if you need something special. If you are in the Ellijay area I hope you'll check 'em out.

No, no, no...that was not an advertisement. That was a note of appreciation for the help Jan gave me, allowing me to do a book signing for my new book, "349 DAYS" at her store. I was by the store a few weeks ago to investigate the possibility, and she jumped at the idea, pulled out her calendar, and we nailed it down right then. I left her a book and a couple of brochures and business cards for display and went away feeling pretty good. I dropped back by a few days later with a few more questions and Jan told me she sold my display book, and wanted to know if I could leave her a few more. Well...what's a guy to do? I said, "Sure enough!" I went right back out to my truck and got 4 more. In the next week she sold 2 of them. All of this before the book signing even arrived.

The big day arrived and I was there bright and early, ready to go. Jan warned me that things were usually slow first thing in the morning. She was right. Slow was a good word to describe the way things went that morning. But that gave us a good chance to visit and get to know each other. And it gave my wife, Becki, plenty of time to wander the store and pick out some books of her own.

As the time went by things picked up a bit. A buddy from church, who is a Vietnam Vet, dropped by while on a motorcycle ride. A former co-worker and fellow retiree from Ma Bell had learned about the signing on Facebook and she drove all the way from Covington to be a part of the event. And some of my family came out to support me as well.


It was a great day for a book signing in Ellijay. Check us out on Facebook (349 Days) or on the web at www.slaterdavis.com.

Til next time...life is good. God is better!

No comments:

Post a Comment